RSA versus DSA / Protocol 1 versus Protocol 2

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Mon Feb 25 08:00:49 EST 2002

> # diff -u /etc/sshd_config sshd_config
[...]
> +Port 2020
> +Protocol 2,1
> -HostKey /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
[...]
> $ sshd -f sshd_config

Interesting.  Right there this dies for me.

  cd /etc
  cp sshd_config sshd_config.hacked
  edit sshd_config.hacked
  diff -u0 | grep -v ^@@
  --- sshd_config Sun Feb 24 13:47:16 2002
  +++ sshd_config.hacked  Sun Feb 24 13:53:52 2002
  -Port 22
  -#Protocol 2,1
  +Port 2022
  +Protocol 2,1
  -HostKey /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
  +# HostKey /etc/ssh_host_dsa_key

  [root at joseki /etc]# sshd -f sshd_config.hacked
  Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key

  telnet localhost 2022
  SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_3.0.2p1

I will dig around in the code a little and see what I find.

> # ssh -2 -p2020 localhost
> root at localhost's password:

Since you normally use Protocol 2 this host is already in your
known_hosts file.  Which means I can't see if this is using the DSA
host key or an RSA host key.

Bob