SCO OpenServer password issue

Roger Cornelius rac at tenzing.org
Thu Jan 3 06:34:27 EST 2002

If SCO OpenServer is configured for large passwords, i.e. u_pwseg is
greater than 1 in /etc/auth/system/default, then user authentication in
auth-passwd.c will fail for users whose passwords are longer than 8
characters.  The "traditional" level of security installs with
u_pwseg#1, so most users would never encounter this problem.  This has
been an issue in openssh since I started using it several versions ago.

The fix is to use bigcrypt() rather than crypt() for OpenServer.
bigcrypt() works in all cases I believe, regardless of password size or
u_pwseg setting.  Below is a patch to auth-passwd.c which corrects the
problem.

I subscribed to the openssh-unix-dev list just today to receive any
replies/comments to this post.  Apologies if this has been addressed
before.

man default(F), prpw(F), secdefs(ADM)

*** auth-passwd.c-orig	Wed Jul  4 00:21:15 2001
--- auth-passwd.c	Wed Jan  2 14:17:21 2002
***************
*** 212,218 ****
--- 212,222 ----
  	else
  		encrypted_password = crypt(password, salt);
  # else
+ #  ifdef HAVE_SCO_PROTECTED_PW
+ 	encrypted_password = bigcrypt(password, salt);
+ #  else
  	encrypted_password = crypt(password, salt);
+ #  endif /* HAVE_SCO_PROTECTED_PW */
  # endif /* __hpux */
  #endif /* HAVE_MD5_PASSWORDS */

Roger Cornelius        rac at tenzing.org