[openssh-unix-dev] auth*.c

David Bronder david-bronder at uiowa.edu
Thu Jan 3 12:23:56 EST 2002

mandar at webchat.chatsystems.com wrote:

> Dave - great to hear someone already working on this ;) Re: #1, how do you
> increment unsuccessful_login_count for non-password method failures?

Short answer:  I don't.  :)  In practice, I found that incrementing
unsuccessful_login_count for other methods is painful, especially if
you actually _use_ unsuccessful_login_count.  Not all failures of the
other methods make sense to count, at least not all the time.

> Re: /etc/nologin, why not stat() the file before calling
> loginrestrictions()?

Because OpenSSH already does /etc/nologin handling elsewhere in the
code.  It doesn't seem right to add a second check for it, and it
also doesn't seem right to check for /etc/nologin on all platforms
in allowed_user() where loginrestrictions() is currently called.

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa