Strange problem from "identical" hosts

Hank Leininger openssh-unix-dev at progressive-comp.com
Sat Jan 5 02:51:16 EST 2002

On 2002-01-04, "Ladner, Eric (CLAD)" <CLAD at chevrontexaco.com> wrote:

> Ok.. I've got three systems, all running openssh-3.0.2p1.  As a matter
> of fact, they were installed from the same built tree, so I know they
> are the same.

> Here's the deal.  I've got three systems, call them source1, source2
> and target.  All are HP-UX 11.0 systems installed from the same tree.

> Source1 and source2 both have thier root rsa pub keys in target's auth
> keys file.

> If I ssh over from source1, everything works great.  If I ssh over from
> source2, it asks me for root's password.

> Here's a debug list of the ssh from source1 and source2 with the
> differences indicated by a leading >:

Can you triple-check the authorized_keys entry for the second box?  Perhaps
it has line-wraps in it that bollocks it up?

Can you run the server with at least 'LogLevel DEBUG' (and syslog.conf
capturing *.debug) or run sshd -d (or sshd -d -d) ?  I'd like to do
essentially the same thing you did with the ssh -v outputs, from the
server.

--
Hank Leininger <hlein at progressive-comp.com>