why always "permission denied" in ssh attempts to a linux machine running openssh?

gang han hangang_2k at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 15:03:56 EST 2002

My questions might be silly since I am a newbie in
linux. Your helps are highly appreciated.

I recent setup a computer (in workstation mode) with
Redhat 7.0. The original installation includes ssh
client, but not the sshd. I download the openssh
source code (openssh-3.0.2p1.tar.gz) and compiled it
following the instruction. The whole process was quite
easy and smooth. Then I run the sshd from
/usr/local/sbin. I also added "sshd: ALL" in the
/etc/hosts.allow file.

The problem is whenever I tried to connect this
computer remotely using "ssh computer_ip_address -l
user_name", the connection was failed. I was prompted
for password type-in. After I typed the password, I
always got "permission denied" or "access denied"
message.

Could anyone tell me what is wrong, and how to solve
the problem? Also, what is the difference to add the
sshd in this way from using the rpm? If I want to add
sshd using rpm, shall I remove the current sshd
installation? How to do that?

Thanks in advance!

By the way, I did not subscribe the mailing list.
Please send your reply to me directly by replying my
message.

--Gang Han