Passing a password from a program to ssh

Norbert Sendetzky norbert at linuxnetworks.de
Wed Jan 9 22:34:50 EST 2002

Hi all

Probably this question was asked before, but I didn't find anything
in the FAQ or in the archives.

I've written an programm that connects to a SSH server and
communicate over the SSH protocol with a SSH subsystem. SSH now shows
a prompt where the password should be typed in. If an error occurs
(protocol error or so) the programm must reconnect to the server and
reestablish the connection. If I fork the SSH program again, it will
require the password to be typed into the console again. But as
daemon there is no shell and it will fail.

So, is there a possiblilty to pass the password e.g by using stdin or
any other method which is secure?

Norbert