new feature w/ patch

Dan Astoorian djast at cs.toronto.edu
Thu Jan 10 03:58:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 22:54:53 EST, Kevin Steves writes:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Ladner, Eric (CLAD) wrote:
> :Won't colon separated numbers cause problems for people as they move
> :towards IPv6?
>
> the alternate form using / would be supported, as it is today. i'm not
> sure if an RFC2732-like syntax makes sense here.  sshd ListenAddress
> attempts to use that.

When I can manage to put together a bit of time, I'm hoping to (at
Kevin's suggestion) supply a patch to move all the host/port-parsing
code to one place, so that the same formats can be used for -L/-R/-D,
ListenAddress, permitopen= in the key file, etc.  I expect that all
currently-accepted forms of specifying addresses/ports in any of those
places will, in general, be accepted in all of them.

In case anyone was wondering, when -L gets changed to accept the syntax
"-L listenaddr:listenport:targethost:targetport", the "listenaddr" part
will be optional, so the change should be backward compatible with the
current -L syntax.  The syntax for -R and -D should get similarly
extended (although existing servers may not do the expected thing when a
listenaddr is provided with -R).

--
Dan Astoorian               People shouldn't think that it's better to have
Sysadmin, CSLab             loved and lost than never loved at all.  It's