Public storage for public keys

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Tue Jan 15 09:09:10 EST 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:45:19PM -0800, Frank Cusack wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:42:07PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> > On another side, for storing *public* keys, there is no
> > *real* need to be *so* suspicious.

I see in my previous email I didn't actually respond to this statement.
*Yes* there is a *real* need to be suspicious for *public* keys.  If
you blindly trust the public key, you expose yourself to MITM attacks.

This is a significant problem in ssh.

That is why PGP has its own trust model.  That is why (eg) X.509 certs
must be signed.

/fc