contrib/solaris/opensshd.in patch

mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Sun Jan 20 02:50:54 EST 2002

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 kevin at tgivan.com wrote:

> Moin Frank!
>  Frank Cusack schrieb am Freitag, den 18. Januar 2002:
>
> > I assume you want this to run on earlier solari, so the first form
> > is probably a bit better (except don't use pgrep).
>
> pkill is not portable. Its available only on 2.7+ and I agree with not
> using pgrep.
>
> Something like:
>
> PID=`ps -a | awk '/[s]shd/{print $1}'`
>
> could be pretty portable on Solaris.

Same problem as the original code.  It could kill all children sshd which
would kill your remote session if you are upgrading OpenSSH.

Somene stated sshd.pid should be used, and I agree mostly.  However pid
files get corrupted too easily.  I'd like a fall back method if sshd.pid
is not right.  However no fallback method I know off hand would protect
the sshd children from being killed.

BTW..  Jos.. It is nice you like Dan Bernstein's tools.  But I sure the
hell ain't going to make them 'required' for a stupid little start/stop
script.  When I myself do not like most of his works nor his licensing.

- Ben