[openssh-unix-dev] AIX reading /etc/environment out of step.

David Bronder david-bronder at uiowa.edu
Wed Jan 23 05:57:39 EST 2002

The /etc/environment file is an AIX-ism that is basically used to
set system-wide environment variable defaults.  In the case of
interactive sessions via telnet or rlogin, I believe it is the
telnetd or rlogind which reads that file, so sshd would have to do
the same thing.

Poor design choice, perhaps, and I could also be wrong about where
/etc/environment really gets read (I haven't done any specific
testing of it).  But by reading it in do_child() you pick up any
changes to the file without having to restart the parent sshd even
if it originally gets read somewhere else.

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa