OpenSSH and OpenSSL snapshots

Booker C. Bense bbense at networking.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 23 12:22:25 EST 2002

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Theo de Raadt wrote:

> You have no idea how wrong you are.

- In what way am I wrong?

>  You want us ot #ifdef openssh?

- I don't see why you would need to do that other than a simple 3 line
include for the backward compatible include files. The function
signatures aren't changing just their names.

> We will not.  Instead, we will make it workwith one openssl version on.
> For now, we willl choose the old, and not move to the new for ... lemme see..
> shall I say 4 years?

-That's entirely your choice. If you want to stick with openssl.0.9.6c
for the next 4 years, then go for it. This however is entirely the
attitude that causes open source to fail, you are only considering
what's best for your particular app and not thinking about the larger
community.

- OpenSSL is doing something that is far from their best interest,
but is in the interest of the larger community. I highly applaud
them for being courageous enough to take this action.

- Booker C. Bense