OpenSSH and OpenSSL snapshots

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Jan 23 21:16:57 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 09:20:09PM +1100, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 20:16, Markus Friedl wrote:
>
> > But why break binary compatibility for 99% of the
> > users if 1% have problems with linking?
> >
> > Why not provide an 'option' for for these 1%,
> > that allows then to use the new API, e.g
> > 	#define OPENSSL_NEW_DES_API
> > 	#include <openssl/des.h>
>
> Or at least a way to enable the old API:
>
> 	#define OPENSSL_OLD_DES_API
> 	#include <openssl/des.h>
>
> We don't have the luxury of only supporting the most recent OpenSSL
> release and we don't want to pollute our code with #ifdef's everywhere.

Ok, the behaviour of the OpenSSL-0.9.7 has been adjusted:
The old interface is now working again by default, as long as
OPENSSL_NO_OLD_DES_SUPPORT is not defined. Applications should
be changed to the DES_* interface in the long run, as the old
interface will go away at some point in the future.

(Please note, that 0.9.7 providing the new interface is not even out...)

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/