AIX reading /etc/environment out of step.

Darren J Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 24 04:15:01 EST 2002

On 01/23/02 07:58, Markus Friedl wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 10:50:01AM -0500, Carson Gaspar wrote:
>
>>Solaris has something vaguely similar - /etc/default/login. Does PAM take
>>care of this for us, or does OpenSSH just ignore it?
>>

> /etc/default/login is not only a list of environment variables.

I'd drop the only from that statement to make it 100% correct.

/etc/default/login is a set of key value pairs joined by an equals sign,
tradition dictates that the keys have been written in uppercase this
makes them look like environment variables.

/etc/default/login is intended to be read by login(1).

sshd has some overlap with some of its own options in sshd_config,
reading both will lead to confusion about which takes precedence and the
sometimes very subtle difference in meaning of the options and the
actions that result.

It would be simpler to have sshd read sshd_config as nice as it might
appear to have it pickup stuff from /etc/default/login it leads to
confusion.

To further complicate matters I believe there are other systems that
have an /etc/default/login file but the key/value pairs in it are
different to those found in Solaris.

--
Darren J Moffat