X.509 support in ssh (revisited)

Anne Carasik gator at cacr.caltech.edu
Thu Jan 24 05:49:19 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:32:01PM -0500, Ed Phillips wrote:
> I wasn't the one talking about a CA "service" like Thawte or Verisign - I
> was talking about a home-brew CA used just to sign OpenSSH hostkeys and
> verify them so that it can all be automated.  I only need to protect the
> home-brew-CA private key.  That is workable in my environment, and the
> reward seems worth the effort.  Anyone else think it would be worth it?

I think so. Having all your hostkeys signed by a central authority (like
an OpenSSL generated key) should be fine. There's no reason you have to
pay a Certificate Authority to do it.

You could do something like GnuPG and sign all the keys by a single key
(treating it like a CA), if OpenSSH can have a hook to use GnuPG keys.

> > Refer to Micorosft and Versign issue last year which caused MS to resign a
> > ton of packages and revoke a very heavily used key.
> If you trust them, then you're in for a world of hurt in these situations.

No kidding. I'd prefer to run my own CA and sign the keys that way. As a
university employee, we look for solutions that are very cost-effective
(especially if they don't cost anything :).

That's what OpenSSL is for. You can make your own certs. :)

> > Think warm fuzzy thoughts that your CA is trustworthy. =)
> Yes... it's nice isn't it? ;-P

*shiver*

-Anne
              .-"".__."``".   Anne Carasik, sysadmin, gator at cacr.caltech.edu
 .-.--. _...' (/)   (/)   ``'      Don't insult the alligator till after you
(O/ O) \-'      ` -="""=.    ',                  cross the river. -unknown