Configure script

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Sat Jan 26 11:27:01 EST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Carson Gaspar wrote:

> See the list archives for the previous discussion of this issue. The short
> form:
>
> - Currently, it's hardcoded in configure.ac It used to be first (blech) and
> now it's last (slightly less nasty)
> - The OpenSSH maintainers don't want to just remove it, since idiots will
> then be unable to compile OpenSSH

It really comes down to how many e-mails would we get by removing
-L/usr/local/lib vs. the few we get now by having it in.
If anyone can put forth a convincing argument that removing it
would NOT significantly increase the support burden, we'll revisit the idea.

> - I proposed a patch that implements a much better search algorithm for
> external libraries, and it was never merged in. If I recall correctly, I

It wasn't merged in because it didn't work.

> proposed that:
>
> If --with-foo=/bar was specified, look in /bar. If it's not there, fail. If
> it is there, prepend -I/bar/include to CPPFLAGS and -L/bar/lib (and
> -R/bar/lib if appropriate) to LDFLAGS, and -lfoo to LIBS.
> If --with-foo was specified (or is on by default), try with the current
> CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS. If it works, add -lfoo to LIBS. If it doesn't work,
> look in /usr/local. If it works, append -I/usr/local/include to CPPFLAGS,
> and -L/usr/local/lib (and -R/usr/local/lib if appropriate) to LDFLAGS and
> -lfoo to LIBS. If you haven't found it yet, fail.

I like the idea.
I just have not seen a working implementation of this.
Your patch may have worked on your systems but didn't work here.
After about 6 hours I gave up.

Would anyone be interested in support for a config.local file
where you could set CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc. that would
override the defaults in configure?

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents	(707) 887-1469
tim at multitalents.net