Issues with SFTP

Rick Jones rick_jones2 at hp.com
Wed Jan 30 06:44:02 EST 2002

> I hate prompt.  I hate it.. I hate it..I hate it.  <rant> Why the
> hell would I want to be prompted for EVERY file in my mget when
> I know what the <BLEEEEEEEEEP> I'm asksing for </rant>  =)  Sorry,
> I've never been a fan of 'prompt'.
>
> Markus/Damien, if we consider adding prompt.  I really ask we
> have it default 'off' since it is the most annoying thing in the world
> to remember. =)

invoking the image of ftp by putting that string in the application name
comes with a lot of baggage as I'm sure is becoming painfully aparant.
everyone starts to ass-u-me that it will behave just like "ftp" only be
secure.

hence, if the default in virtually every other ftp is that prompt is on
by default, it should be on by default when/if added to sftp. principle
of least surprise...

...otherwise, someone (admittedly, perhaps not very bright, but that is
what the PC and Web revolutions bring as their baggage...) who wants to
copy only four of the five files in the directory, and not have the
fifth overwrite one she has by the same name is going to be in for a
rather unpleasant surprise...

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com  but NOT BOTH...