Disabling compression in sshd causes problems

Thomas Binder binder at arago.de
Mon Jul 1 19:15:57 EST 2002

Hi!

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:02:52AM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:26:25PM -0600, Bruce Guenter wrote:
> > Am I mistaken in thinking that disabling compression on the
> > server would simply silently disable compression for all
> > connections to that server?
>
> not if the client really wants compression, as in your case.

But shouldn't the behaviour be consistent across protocol
versions? If I use ssh -1 -C to connect to a server that has
compression disabled, I only get a warning, but the client
connects fine. If I use ssh -2 -C, the connection attempt fails.

It's easy to patch sshconnect2.c to not fail when the server does
not support compression, it seems such a patch won't be
accepted.

Ciao

Thomas