3.4p1: 'buffer_append_space: alloc 10506240 not supported'

Mihnea-Costin Grigore mgc8 at totalnet.ro
Tue Jul 2 22:48:50 EST 2002

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Thomas Quinot wrote:

> I have been trying to install 3.4p1 on a number of machines.
> Servers on ia64 Linux, i386 Linux and SPARC Solaris are all working
> like charms. On the other hand, I am having trouble at least with
> HPUX 11, DEC OSF 5.1 and Unixware: on all those systems, sshd bails
> out after authentication with an error in buffer_append_space.

     I think this is the same problem that I encountered and written about
in the message from July 1st ("Memory allocation gone awry with OpenSSH
3.(3,4)p1")... It is the same pattern:

first we authenticate ok:

> debug1: monitor_child_preauth: quinot has been authenticated by
> privileged process
[...snip...]
> buffer_append_space: alloc 10506240 not supported

Then the server tries to alloc. way too much memory and dies.
Obviously, this bug affects more systems and should be treated with some
attention... I'd be willing to help, as soon as someone points me in the
right direction (there are more details as to what I already tried/found
out, in the original message)...

Regards,

--
Mihnea-Costin Grigore          [ "Tenebus Ipsilo Ibinem Catehens" ]
E-mail: mgc8 at totalnet.ro       Home Page: http://mgc8.virtualave.net