scp not tolerant of extraneous shell messages

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Wed Jul 3 01:48:57 EST 2002

>>You are really looking for sftp which has no shell dependancies.
>>

>no, sftp has, but a lot of things have.
>
>of course you can hack magic things into sftp/sftp-server
>and discard the output from .profile.

Markus--

    Why should sftp-server have any shell dependancy at all?  I was
under the impression the whole point of the subsystem interface was to
finally gain independance from the vagaries of the shell.

    Indeed, poking through the code, session.c:1630 looks like it's
executing the command directly...just a straight do_exec(s, cmd).  So
how is the shell still coming through w/ init strings?

--Dan