scp not tolerant of extraneous shell messages

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Jul 3 02:16:45 EST 2002

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com wrote:

> I spoke of sub-systems generally - sftp may or may not care
> about umask settings - other sub-systems might in fact care.

Which would be a flaw in the subsystem application that was written.
Unless you know for a fact that subsystem will *NEVER* be implemented on a
non-UNIX based platform.

In reality, file permissions should be set by the application or by the
end-user that is connecting.  To do so otherwise is non-portable.

After saying that.  I still agree that the user's shell needs to be ran.
=) Because it's the correct way for UNIX to handle things.