Need configure parameter for SSH_PROGRAM

Bryan Henderson bryanh at giraffe-data.com
Fri Jul 5 10:13:01 EST 2002

I am impressed by all the paths that Configure lets me set for Openssh.
I don't think I've ever seen an Autoconf package give me so much
flexibility.  But I found one missing.

Makefile.in has SSH_PROGRAM hardcoded as @BINDIR@/ssh.  It would be nice
if I could specify the whole value as a Configure parameter.  Being able
to override it with an environment variable would be even nicer.  I don't
like to build paths into binaries -- it makes them less portable.

In fact, in my make file, I set SSH_PROGRAM to "ssh" (note no absolute
path) just for that reason.  Ssh may live in different places in
different environments, but in any environment where I use these
programs, PATH tells where the user wants it to be found.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California