default socket buffer length

Kevin Steves kevin at atomicgears.com
Fri Jul 12 10:08:34 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:23:10PM -0500, Wendy Palm wrote:
> i have a site that needs to increase the socket buffer size.
> this is something i really don't know much about, myself.
>
> they need to increase it to at least 300k to get decent performance
> (specifically for scp).
>
> what is the current default & are there any known ramifications
> to increasing it?

default and maximum depend on OS, and may be tunable there.  we don't
set SO_RCVBUF/SO_SNDBUF now.  it's something that should be looked
into in terms of bulk transfer speedups, but i'm not sure if there's a
general strategy we should use, for example trying to raise it to some
value in some or all cases, that will be appropriate for most
platforms.  that vs. just adding tunables, which we'd like to avoid.

there's more Nagle work to do as well.