With bounds checking patch for gcc-3.1 problems if using AES

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Sat Jul 13 00:07:55 EST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 03:50:42PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 12:43:30PM +0200, Markus Friedl wrote:
> > did anyone check this?
>
> I tried it, but it doesn't solve my problem (and thinking about it, there
> is no way how it could).

The IV-memcopy() problem was identified in the interfacing between
OpenSSH and OpenSSL based on the traceback sent by Daniel Schroeter.
(Unfortunately Daniel did not yet report back whether his problem is
solved now.)
Obviously, you ran into another problem, for which another traceback
would be required...

> - all sorts of key handling with DSA or RSA2 keys leads to core dumping,
> while everything done with RSA1 keys works just fine.  "ssh -1" has
> no problems whatsoever either.
>
> Happens *only* on FreeBSD 2.1.x machines, with x > 5.
>
> As this machine will go out of service "soon" anyway, I haven't done any
> in-depth debugging yet.

If it would be a bug inside FreeBSD's routines, debugging would be a waste
of time. One can however not be sure. Maybe there is a bug in OpenSSH
(or OpenSSL, that's why I am following the thread closely) that just becomes
visible under certain conditions.

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/