OpenSSH & MinGW?

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Sat Jul 13 05:17:46 EST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 02:59:56PM -0400, Ed Phillips wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2002 Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com wrote:
> > Any other glaring gotchas?
>
> Well, the tty-related stuff would be a headache for starters - an "MS-DOS
> prompt" isn't really a tty-compatible entity, except in the DOS
> "look-I-can-print-funky-DOS-symbols-and-escape-sequences" sense.  That
> problem in itself is probably enough to snuff any urges I might to port to
> MinGW.  You really need a terminal emulator to run the ssh client "inside
> of".

Yes. Echo-off prompting would have to be done differently. That's about
the extent of client-side tty-handling in OpenSSH though. Not too bad.

> Also, on Windows there is no "open", "close", etc., but there is "_open",
> "_close", etc.,... and some of them have different arguments or omit
> arguments.

Such things can be worked out.

> Basically, there's a lot of hacking you would have to do, at minimum...

I've been guessing so - I was hoping someone had tried who could give me
some advice on the matter.

> > Hmmm, I'd need the MIT krb5 stuff to build under MinGW as well...
>
> I don't know if anyone has tried it with MinGW, but certainly people do
> this sort of port to Cygwin (not that it helps you any).

Actually, that was thinko. The MIT krb5 stuff compiles natively on
Windows (it's called MIT Kfw - Kerberos For Windows). So there's the
answer to that. OpenSSL and MIT krb5 and zlib should all build with
MingW no problem - OpenSSH's ssh(1) is another matter.

> 	Ed

Thanks,

Nico
--
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-