HP-UX PAM with Trusted System patch

Kevin Steves kevin at atomicgears.com
Thu Jul 18 10:32:29 EST 2002

On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 06:05:48PM -0700, Darren Cole wrote:
> The patch looks reasonable, but I don't believe Trust HP-UX has pam or at
> least we don't have it on our machines.  I even asked around the office and
> no one thinks we have pam on 10.26.  Are we mistaken or missing a patch? Or
> are you talking about something version other than Trusted HP-UX 10.26?
> Later version of HP-UX may have pam (I think 11i does), but I don't know of
> any later version of Trusted HP-UX than 10.26.

Base HP-UX (10.20, 11.0, 11.11) supports a configuration known as
"trusted system", previously also called "commercial security".  There
are also other HP-UX CMW and "trusted OS" versions (I don't keep track
of those).  And there is some similarity in some of the protected
password database stuff (/tcb), which has a Secureware heritage.

PAM was available starting with HP-UX 10.X, but it was only supported
for use by CDE.  11.X should fully support PAM (with some hand-waving
in terms of what that might really mean--for example there is no
64-bit libpam).