'buildpkg.sh' for OpenSSH - non-interactive install?

Kenneth Lareau elessar at numenor.org
Thu Jul 18 11:19:05 EST 2002

I have a minor issue with the 'buildpkg.sh' script in the contrib/solaris
directory for OpenSSH (3.4p1 in my case) that I'm hoping might be solvable.
First off, I'd like to say that I've been quite happy with the script; for
interactive installs, it's worked great.

My problem is occurring due to my attempts to make it work non-interac-
tively, however, within an init script used for Solaris Jumpstart.  In
the script I created, I've generated the necessary admin and response
files to allow for no interaction with the user, and when the script is
run from a command prompt, it works without a hitch.  If the script is
run during bootup (as an init script), it seems to bomb on the preinstall
script with the following error message:

   pkgadd: ERROR: freopen(/dev/tty, "a", stdout) failed, errno=6
   pkgadd: ERROR: preinstall script did not complete successfully

Looking up the error number, which corresponds to ENXIO, it seems to be
unable to find /dev/tty, which is understandable since it's being run
non-interactively; however, I'm not quite certain why it's attempting
to do that, and so far everyone I've talked to has been uncertain as
well.  Is there something obvious to this that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on his issue.

Kenneth Lareau
elessar at numenor.org