AIX hang problem again (was Re: Testing Call)

Leigh Brown leigh at solinno.co.uk
Thu Jul 18 21:12:07 EST 2002

I wrote:
> Yesterday, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>> 2. AIX (some version) stall on large data output.  Current CVS patch
>> is wrong and will be pulled unless an agreement can be made.
>
> The (apparent) bug in AIX applies to AIX 4.3.3ML03 and above.  Having
> at last found a solution that works I'd be really grateful if we can
> have a workaround for the bug before the release.
>
> I have attached a patch that moves the workaround to the correct place,
> above the write, and changes "c->isatty" to "isatty(c->wfd)", because
> c->isatty is not true if nonblock is false (I don't know why it is
> setup like this).
>
> It may not be the most correct or efficient solution, but it only
> applies to AIX, and without it openssh locks up solid very easily
> when ssh'ing from a box that you telnet'd or rlogin'd to.
>
> Please apply!
>
> BTW I'm running last night's snapshot with this patch applied and
> privilege separation enabled, and it all seems to be working fine. I
> will report if I encounter any problems.

Sorry guys, I just realised that you've been sending me email and
I've not read it, due to (my) bad mail filtering rules.  It was just
chance that I happened to read Ben's testing email.  I've read your
emails now and obviously I'd still like to apply the patch.  However,
if using isatty is a problem (I know it causes a system call), please
give me a hint as to a preferred solution and I'll cook something up.

Cheers,

Leigh.