Irix UseLogin wtmp/utmp bug

Tim Mooney mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Wed Jul 24 06:06:38 EST 2002

In regard to: Irix UseLogin wtmp/utmp bug, John W. Sopko Jr. said (at...:

>I think it is up to the SGI login program to update these files at this
>point, not the sshd daemon. If I do not use the UseLogin option the
>sshd daemon updated the wtmp/utmp files just fine, (but I do not get an
>AFS token).
>
>I can call the /usr/bin/login program once I am logged into a session
>that
>uses the UseLogin option and the wtmp/utmp files still do not get
>updated!
>
>But if I call /usr/bin/login from the command line while logged into a
>sshd session that does NOT use UseLogin the wtmp/utmp files do get
>updated.

I agree that it should be up to the SGI login program to update the
requisite files, and the fact that it works differently if you invoke it
after your login shell starts with UseLogin set does suggest that sshd
might be doing something that's tripping up /usr/bin/login.

Two suggestions:

1) Temporarily set

	UseLogin /tmp/login-script.sh

and have the script run the `env' command and dump that to some file.
That will get you what env your "login" program is seeing.

2) After setting UseLogin back to

	UseLogin /usr/bin/login

Use SGI's truss-equivalent, par, to trace the system calls that login
is executing on your behalf.  That may help, or it might not.

The fact that you tried execle and a stripped environment and still didn't
get the utmp/wtmp accounting probably means its not environment related,
but trying #1 anyway might be useful.

If you solve the problem, be sure to summarize to the list -- it's an
interesting one.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney at dogbert.cc.ndsu.NoDak.edu