scp bug? or is it intended?

Lapo Luchini lapo at lapo.it
Thu Jul 25 00:00:40 EST 2002

Please enlightnen me on a subject, which is easily explained by example
(cyberone is a Cygwin1.3.12/WinXPpro and cyberx is a FreeBSD with latest
openssh-portable installed):

lapo at CYBERONE ~
$ scp lapo at cyberx:Luth\'ol.pcg .
bash: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''
bash: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file

lapo at CYBERONE ~
$ scp lapo at cyberx:Luth\\\'ol.pcg .
Luth'ol.pcg          100% |*****************************|  2066       00:00

I guess that the fact that command line is interpreted also on remote
side should be hidden from the user... IMHO first command line should
work and second one should not.

Please notice also that I'm not subscribed to this ML.
If this behaviour is intended, sorry for the message, but then I'd say
it should th least noted in the "man" page that the command line will be
interpreted twice.

OpenSSH in always better and better, keep up the good work =)
Lapo

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo at lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)