OpenSSH 3.4p1 on SourceMage client ssh fails

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 29 04:25:38 EST 2002

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 28, 2002 at 09:47:33PM +0800, Damien Mascord wrote:
> non world writeable /dev/tty* was the issue...

Ummm.  Just to clarify that: /dev/tty (with no '*') has to be
world-writeable, /dev/tty* (all that tty devices) should not be.

> Thanks for the apt answer... any reason why this wasn't picked up on the
> debug or verbose??

Hmmm.  As far as I remember, the code just assumes "if I can't access
/dev/tty, it means 'ssh' is running from cron or something similar, without
a controlling tty - so just assume there was no positive answer and go
ahead".

Markus: I think a debug message to that extent would be helpful, something
like:

 debug1: can't open /dev/tty (%m), assuming negative answer

(if the second part is appropriate).

It's relevant for pass-phrase reading, and for "new host key" confirmation
(at least).

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de