ssh-add: local private keys added to forwarded agents

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 6 01:55:42 EST 2002

>Snippet from draft-ietf-secsh-agent-00.txt:
>
>2. Security Considerations
>
>   This protocol is designed only to run as a channel of the SSH
>   protocol.
>
>   The goal of this extension is to ensure that the users private keys
>   never leave the machine they are physically at.  Ideally the private
>   keys should be stored on a password protected removable media such as
>   a smartcard.
>
>I noticed that ssh-add will add a private key to a forwarded agent, if
>there are no local agents started by that user - this breaks the draft
>specification as private keys on a local host are added to an agent
>running on a remote host.

Since that draft is very much a work in progress and OpenSSH doesn't
claim complaince with it - I don't think it is fair to hold them to it.

The draft at this point is a very rough cut of thoughts in my head, you
will also note that as far as technical details it is completely content
free in revision -00.txt.

Note also that it does say Ideally not MUST or SHOULD or any other RFC2026
keywords.

--
Darren J Moffat