SIGCHLD may be inherited blocked

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Jun 8 06:40:28 EST 2002

Once upon a time, Nicolas Williams <Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com> said:
> Sometimes, it seems, sshd gets started with SIGCHLD blocked, this,
> apparently, being the setting of sshd's parent (a shell no doubt);
> signal blocking is inherited across exec*(). I don't know exactly which
> shell, or what really is at fault, but it happens.

Funny; I just ran into a case of sshd running with SIGALRM blocked on
Linux (caused problems because I restarted sendmail from an ssh login,
and it would never time out connections because SIGALRM was always
blocked).

Would it be a problem for sshd to clear the blocked signals at start?
Is there a valid case for it to inherit blocked signals?
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>