debugging connection establishing

Wilfried Goesgens willi at sevenval.de
Tue Jun 11 02:24:23 EST 2002

As I've experienced in the last days finding an error
in your ssh authentication-phase is verry hard, since even
trippple-debugging doesn't say any reason why an authentification-method
fails just that it does.
In my /etc/ssh/ssh_config was a line stating  IdentityFile
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/identity
while protocol was set to 2
It didn't even notice me neither the file contained the key for the
version2-authentication nor afterwards that this file didn't exist.
And allso didn't the authentication-method fail tell me that there is
no local key.

I think your debug-output should target a bit more on errors caused by
configuration-errors than general protocol output, which doesn't tell
usual users much usefull information.

Wilfried Goesgens

If you have any additional questions, please CC me, because I'm not
subscribed.