ssh setuid changes.

Darren Moffat Darren.Moffat at Sun.COM
Wed Jun 12 04:17:31 EST 2002

>I'm still convinced that expressions as
>
>	if (uid == 0)
>
>should be changed to a function call
>
>	if (is_superuser (uid))
>
>which would allow to write platform dependent code in port-XXX.c
>instead of having the need for #ifdef's.

Taking it a step further the function could take an arugment that says why the
check is being done (bind to priveleged port, read a file I don't own) and
would setup the necessary privelege.  This would allow systems that have fine
grained privelege to use it, a subsequent call would be made to drop the
privelege after it was no longer needed.

--
Darren J Moffat