OpenSSH_3.0.1p1 disconnects due to bad packet length and corrupted MAC on input.

Daniel Bergman d-b at home.se
Thu Jun 13 22:53:44 EST 2002

Hi

I'm having huge problems with OpenSSH 3.0.1p1, compiled with OpenSSL 0.9.6b 9 Jul 2001 and running with prngd_0.9.23, it disconnects unexpectedly during client session due to bad packet length and corrupted MAC on input, according to debug anyway.

What can cause this kinds of errors? I've verified that both se9104/server and switch runs in 100 Mbit full duplex and switch statstictics show no collisions at all.

I've attached output of several 'ssh -v -v -v se9104' commands that fails with either "Disconnecting: Bad packet length" or "Corrupted MAC on input". I've also attached client ssh config, server sshd config and server process list.

Regards,
Daniel

==============
se9104 SERVER
==============
$ uname -a
SunOS se9104 5.8 Generic_108528-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80
$ cat /etc/release
                        Solaris 8 1/01 s28s_u3wos_08 SPARC
           Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                           Assembled 28 November 2000
                     Solaris 8 Maintenance Update 6 applied
=============
se2002 CLIENT
=============
$ uname -a
SunOS se2002 5.7 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
$ cat /etc/release
                      Solaris 7 s998s_SunServer_21al2b SPARC
           Copyright 1998 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                            Assembled 06 October 1998

Regards,
Daniel Bergman

MvH