multiple definition of `optind'

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Mon Jun 17 16:23:19 EST 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Phil Howard wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:17:15PM -0500, Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>
> | On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Phil Howard wrote:
> |
> | > Any ideas of the best way around this problem?  Should I just hack the
> | > source code, or is there a magic switch somewhere I'm missing?  I'm
> | > assuming I can't just dismiss that function as OpenSSH is probably
> | > based on the OpenBSD semantics.
> | >

> | No the issue is that your platform lacks a usable getopts with a optreset.
>
> I can believe that.  It's got GNU libc ... very buggy.  Got another
> libc for Linux that works better?

Honestly if I could I would force the whole Linux community back to libc 5
and bring it down a standard BSD libc path.  But that is here nor there.

[..Removed OpenSSL rantings which is just preaching to the converted..]

> | Try the attach patch.  Let me know if it fixes it.  It was presented as
> | part of the Mint platform patches.
>
> What is a "Mint platform"?

<shrug> Yet another OS.  Never used it myself, and doubtful I ever will,
but they lack dynamic linking according to the patch's author.

> The patch applies, compilation and linking work, and the "ssh" executeable
> now runs.  Of course these are now fat executeables, but I now see the
> sweet words "not a dynamic executable" from ldd.  Normally I would want
> that, but this is one of the cases where I don't.  Having to run to the
> system console is very costly thing (miles away).

Good.  I'll put it on the list of patches to merge after I spend a bit
more time looking at it to ensure correctness.

- Ben