ssh hang on wrong port - is it a bug ?

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jun 18 10:38:46 EST 2002

"Gary E. Miller" wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > Telnetting into an FTP server prints the banner and hangs.
>
> Uh no.  I have many times telneted in to an FTP server for debugging.

That's because you know the FTP protocol.  What I was getting that is to
a user who doesn't, the telnet session "hangs" (ie no "login:" prompt).
Telnet didn't disconnect just because it didn't find a telnet server.

> FTP is just looking for ASCII commands.  If you type the right things then
> it will just work.

OK, let's see you do an active-mode file transfer using only telnet :-)

My original point? ssh's behaviour is consistent with clients of other
protocols.

FWIW, I don't think it's worth protecting a user who deliberately
misconfigures ssh from having to hit CTRL-C if it means providing
another failure mode for a slow but otherwise valid connection.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG Fingerprint D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69