ssh hang on wrong port - is it a bug ?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jun 18 15:55:09 EST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 10:38:46AM +1000, Darren Tucker wrote:
> "Gary E. Miller" wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Darren Tucker wrote:
> > > Telnetting into an FTP server prints the banner and hangs.
> >
> > Uh no.  I have many times telneted in to an FTP server for debugging.
>
> That's because you know the FTP protocol.  What I was getting that is to
> a user who doesn't, the telnet session "hangs" (ie no "login:" prompt).
> Telnet didn't disconnect just because it didn't find a telnet server.

There's a small but significant difference: telnet can be used to talk
to the FTP server, or send out an e-mail over SMTP, or whatever.  And if
you type "quit" at the FTP server prompt, it will disconnect you properly.

SSH doesn't do that, it will just hang.

> > FTP is just looking for ASCII commands.  If you type the right things then
> > it will just work.
> OK, let's see you do an active-mode file transfer using only telnet :-)

With telnet and netcat (for the data connection) it's well possible.

> My original point? ssh's behaviour is consistent with clients of other
> protocols.

It isn't.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/