OpenSSH 3.3 released [be careful of not having sshd user or /var/empty]

Damien Mascord tusker at tusker.org
Tue Jun 25 02:11:43 EST 2002

Heya,

Probably something to note in the release notes for 3.3:

1) A user sshd needs to exist before you do a /etc/init.d/sshd restart, ssh
will not restart
2) A directory /var/empty needs to exists before you restart sshd,
otherwise sshd will not restart.

Probably even a good idea to put it in the make install section, something like
echo * WARNING, sshd user does not exist               *
echo * WARNING, /var/empty directory does not exist *
echo * sshd will not restart                                        *

Just an idea :)  Glad I enabled telnet temporarily to restart sshd this time :)

Damien