Patch for OpenSSH/mmap() on Linux 2.2

Ben Lindstrom mouring at etoh.eviladmin.org
Wed Jun 26 01:01:06 EST 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Michael Bacarella wrote:

> A colleague was having trouble running OpenSSH 3.3p on his server.
>
> He, like many of us, has been clobbered by the mighty security penis
> of Theo De Raadt into enabling "privsep".

<shrug>  Theo does not have a gun to your head.  Or last I checked he did
not.

> But on some Linux 2.2 kernels, this is broken. Apparantly, OpenSSH "portable"
> relies on non-POSIX compliant mmap() features.

Known issue.  mmap() w/out a working MAP_ANON is currently requires sshd
to have compression off (won't start with Compression on).

Post Monday I'll accept complete patches (Some form of OpenWall's Owl +
Tim's /dev/zero) to improve it.

I'm not at the point where I want to introduce too many mmap() ways before
the end of the week due to the limited testing period we have.

- Ben