/dev/urandom|random and Solaris

Luc I. Suryo luc at suryo.com
Wed Jun 26 03:09:51 EST 2002

Thanks Ed,

I was confused by the message after ./configure and totally forgot that
the binary uses shared-lib and a 'strings' did not show /dev/urandom...

i recompiled against statis-lib and 'truss' it, it uses /dev/urandom
as defined by the openssl libs.. which make sense... i guess i was to
much in a hurry to get the new version pkg-ed :)

again thanks!

> > Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:16:41 -0500
> > From: Luc I. Suryo <luc at suryo.com>
> > To: openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org
> > Subject: /dev/urandom|random and Solaris
> >

> > Hello,
> >
> > Being new to the list i hope this question has not been asked before....
> > As you might know Solaris 9 supportes /dev/random and /dev/urandom bij
> > default and earlier version need to install a patch to have these
> > devices....
> >
> > But the configuration script under Solaris (Sparc/X86) does not test the
> > existing of the devices... is this to be known as a error/bug? and is
> > there a patch?
>
> It doesn't need to... the OpenSSL code uses /dev/urandom if it exists.
> If you want to change to /dev/random, you have to edit the code (look for
> DEVRANDOM in the source).
>
> With OpenSSH, you should use the configuration options to disable the
> OpenSSH-supplied entropy gathering stuff (--with-rand-helper=no?).
>
> 	Ed
>
> Ed Phillips <ed at udel.edu> University of Delaware (302) 831-6082
> Systems Programmer III, Network and Systems Services
> finger -l ed at polycut.nss.udel.edu for PGP public key

--- End of ed at UDel.Edu's quote ---

--
Kind regards,