use libcrypt before libcrypto

Lutz Jaenicke Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
Wed Jun 26 04:05:54 EST 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 12:15:40PM -0400, Jim Knoble wrote:
> Isn't this really a problem for OpenSSL?  I know that several vendors
> (notably Linux ones...) already patch OpenSSL to remove crypt() from
> OpenSSL's libcrypto, so that crypt() is only available via the system
> libcrypt.  Even the stock OpenSSL-0.9.6d sources omit crypt() under
> FreeBSD, NeXT, and Darwin.
>
> I really think that OpenSSL should not contain crypt() at all.  For
> situations where the system crypt() is so broken as to prefer OpenSSL's
> implementation, the symbol should be openssl_crypt(), or something
> similarly named, and it's up to the calling application to #define it
> as crypt() or not.

As of OpenSSL 0.9.7, libcrypto will only contain DES_crypt(). However:
there will be a macro #define crypt() DES_crypt() in <openssl/des_old.h>
(by default included for compatibility from <openssl/des.h>).
This should remove all name clashes except for applications explicitly
including <openssl/des.h> (or <openssl/des_old.h>) in the file using
the crypt() call (in which case DES_crypt() will be used).

Best regards,
	Lutz
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             Lutz.Jaenicke at aet.TU-Cottbus.DE
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/