bad owner on /var/empty: RH6.2 sparc 3.4p1

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 27 20:43:21 EST 2002

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Darren Tucker wrote:
> > I don't see how a fake root (ie "make install DESTDIR=/some/dir") as a
> > vanilla user helps create a root-owned directory.......
>
> fakeroot is not a fake root, it fakes root.
>  i.e. to remove the need to become root for a package build.
>  This is done by setting LD_PRELOAD to libfakeroot.so,
>  which provides wrappers around getuid, chown, chmod, mknod,
>  stat, ..., thereby creating a fake root environment.

Neat! I didn't know about that.

It doesn't help for platforms that don't support LD_PRELOAD (eg AIX 4.x)
and since the AIX package builder uses "make install DESTDIR=..." *I'd*
be patching Makefile.in and whining....

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
GPG Fingerprint D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4  37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69