sshd and file descriptors

Phil Howard phil-openssh-unix-dev at ipal.net
Fri Jun 28 01:36:49 EST 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:39:15AM -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:

| The current ssh session is untouched. I can call "service sshd stop" on a
| server in Antartica if I want to (those penguins know linux :).
| Besides, the config file is untouched if the user has made any changes to
| it. The worst that could happen is for some reason the new daemon won't
| start, some previous option that is no longer valid for the new version.
| This is told visually to the user, he/she will see in red FAILED.

But now the service is down.  You're busy trying to get things
fixed so it will start back up OK (fix the config file).  Then
your connection drops or a router fails for a while and you end
up losing that connection.  Now what?  Telnet?

| Those users will also be in pain if they forget to restart the service. And
| this happens very often, I've seen users upgrading apache before the weekend
| and forgetting to restart it and going home relieved. Poor bastards. Worse,
| their server just halted during the weekend when logrotate kicked in and
| HUPed the daemon.

And you call these people system administrators?  I don't.

But at least I wrote a log splitter that apache starts, gets the log
stream via a pipe, and splits every log entry by date, time, and even
virtual host (configurable).  It doesn't need to HUP.

OK, Now back to SSH.