Disabling compression in sshd causes problems

Bruce Guenter bruceg at em.ca
Fri Jun 28 04:26:25 EST 2002

Greetings.

If compression is disabled in the sshd config file, and a client
attempts to connect with compression enabled, the session fails with the
following error message:
	no matching comp found: client zlib server none
This error message is produced on line 285 of kex.c (version 3.4p1).

This happens with either UsePrivilegeSeperation on or off, so I do not
believe it is a PrivSep issue.

Am I mistaken in thinking that disabling compression on the server would
simply silently disable compression for all connections to that server?
--
Bruce Guenter <bruceg at em.ca> http://em.ca/~bruceg/ http://untroubled.org/
OpenPGP key: 699980E8 / D0B7 C8DD 365D A395 29DA  2E2A E96F B2DC 6999 80E8