Support for AIX native (.bff) packages: patch available

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sun Mar 3 12:35:11 EST 2002

Ben Lindstrom wrote:
> Nice.

Thanks!

> However since it has  a lot of fixed information (unlike the Solaris'
> package) you are going to have to be willing to maintain it or convert
> it to a pure dynamic system.  That was the main reason why the Solaris
> buildpkg.sh was rewritten to ensure that I did not have to muck with it
> very offen. =)

I know. The hard-coded paths and inventory files are the "rough edges" I
mentioned. I plan to eliminate them. I was also hoping I could find a
more elegant way to get the octal modes than parsing "ls", but I
haven't. I'll incorporate your inventory.sh script and rework the rest.

There's a couple of wrinkles, though, eg if any of the files live on the
root filesystem (eg --sysconfdir=/etc) then you need to generate a
different type of package. The package format is slightly weird
(matching the rest of AIX!) and I'm still coming to grips with it.

> However, if you are willing to ensure it is up-to-date  on future releases
> I'd be happy to include it.

Excellent. I'll let you know when the rework is done so you can take
another look.

		-Daz.