Compatibility issue: OpenSSH v2.3.0p1 vs. 3.0.2: RSA keys

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Mar 6 18:42:38 EST 2002

Hello,

I think I found a problem that should not happen:

An OpenSSH client v3.0.2 on Solaris and an OpenSSH server 2.3.0p1 on HP-
UX had a problem when authenticating:

Password login worked fine, but a password for an existing and
configured RSA1 key was never asked, the key never tried. It always
fell back to plain password authentication.

After fiddling with the client configuration without success, I found
out that using "ssh -1" made the client succeed.

So I can only guess that this is a failure to negotiate a common
protocol.

I thin kthat my installation is correct, but I found some odd messages
in syslog of the server during these tests:

sshd[24574]: WARNING: /usr/local/etc/primes does not exist, using old
prime
sshd[4319]: bad pkalg ssh-rsa
sshd[7157]: Bad options in .ssh/authorized_keys file, line 2: ssh-rsa
AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAIEA2lTEPCqTfl5Umv

Regards,
Ulrich