Fwd: SFTP and alphabetical directory listings

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Mar 7 16:11:43 EST 2002

Jason Kau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize if this is not the appropriate mailing list for this question.
>
> Is there a reason why the "sftp" client included with OpenSSH does not present
> an alphabetical listing of files when you do "ls"?

No one has written support for it. The "ls" implementation is very basic
at the moment, we just take whatever the server sends us, in what ever
order they send it.

Ideally the ls should be rewritten to use the remote glob() function
supplied by sftp-glob.[ch] and generate the long listings itself, rather
than use the longname attribute from the server. This would make it
possible to do things like "ls -l *.foo", "ls -C", etc. I suspect that
the longname attribute will be going away in a future rev of the
filexfer draft anyway, so such a rewrite will need to happy eventually.

-d