Cannot run OpenSSH 3.1p1 on Solaris 8, Irix 6.5.14, Irix 6.5.4, SunOS 4.1.3_U1 - ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data

Andy Ozment andy.ozment at cc.gatech.edu
Sat Mar 9 09:25:03 EST 2002

I have successfully compiled OpenSSH 3.1p1 for the following systems:
Solaris 8
Solaris 7
Irix 6.5.14
Irix 6.5.4
SunOS 4.1.3_U1

Unfortunately, the new sshd is not working on any of the above systems
with the exception of Solaris 7. (I then put the Solaris 7 executables
on Solaris 8, and they worked there too.)

This is the error I'm getting:
$ /usr/etc/sshd -D -d -d -d
debug3: Seeing PRNG from /usr/libexec/ssh-rand-helper
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data

I compiled with:
tried both openssl 0.9.6b and 0.9.6c
prngd 0.9.23
zlib 1.1.3

Checking my random number pool shows that I have plenty of bits
available:
$ egc-irix.pl /var/run/egd-pool get
 32800 bits of entropy in pool
$ /usr/sbin/sshd -D -d -d -d
debug3: Seeing PRNG from /usr/libexec/ssh-rand-helper
ssh-rand-helper child produced insufficient data

Anybody have any ideas?
Andy

--
  Andy Ozment