scp completes but ssh subprocess in deadlock with sshd

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at ubsw.com
Wed Mar 13 05:47:46 EST 2002

We're seeing the same problem here, but with 2.9p2 clients and 3.0.2p1
servers on Solaris. It seems to be a reliably reproduceable problem,
but looking carefully it really seems like a non-deterministic problem.
I suspect a race.

We have captured some useful debug messages + other info which I will be
posting to bugzilla.

In all cases, whether the ssh hangs or not we see that both the server
and the client have called channel_free() to free channel 0 (the
session), that both have closed both sides of the channel and that the
server sent the exit-status message and that the client received it. The
only difference is that the client ends up going into a select() w/o
timeout selecting for read on the SSH connection socket.

This is really weird; there should be no calls to channel_free() between
the (compat20 && session_closed && !channel_still_open()) check at the top
of the client loop and the call to client_wait_until_can_do_something(),
so I don't see how there can be a race condition. Yet there it is.

In any case scp does exit even if the ssh hangs at the end.

I am baffled.

Cheers,

Nico